Now I implore you to try all the dessert recipes in Nigella Express. They’ve all had first class ratings from everyone I’ve given them to. Another one, the Pear and Ginger Muffins, remain my absolute favourite, but these are really not very far from the top of the list either.
Nigella asks for butterscotch ‘morsels’ or chocolate ‘morsels’. Y’know what? I went one better and used butterscotch chocolate. Actually, I would’ve been totally happy with only butterscotch pieces, but could I find any? Nada. However, Green & Black’s came to the rescue so we can all relax.
Give this one a crack, probs 10 ins up front (if you’re on it), and 20 mins in the oven. Really not a biggie, but the results are oh so good.
Good things: It’s got that healthy base, giving you leeway for a little bit of naughtiness.
Bad things: If you can find just some plain old butterscotch to make ‘morsels’ out of let me know…
Ingredients & requirements: It’ll keep a whole bag of tortilla chips company.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 250g flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 150g chocolate butterscotch
Preparation & cooking
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Line a regular 12-case muffin tin with muffin papers
- Mash the 3 ripe bananas together and set aside
- Take the 150g of chocolate butterscotch and break into very chunks or chips.
- In a Pyrex jug, pour in the 125ml of vegetable oil and then crack in the 2 eggs and beat them in so you have a single mix.
- In a large mixing bowl:
- Pour in the 250g flour, 100g caster sugar, 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Maybe give it all a quick mix with a spoon or hands.
- With a spoon or spatula, mix in the oil-egg mixture.
- And then mix in the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the butterscotch chocolate chips.
- Place in the muffin cases and bake for 20 mins.
So, the pear and ginger muffins remain my faovurite Express recipe, because they are just ever so slightly more refreshing. However, the potent combination of banana and chocolate is really rather irresistible. Another joy to behold from my favourite chef.