I settled on trying this one partially because scrambled eggs are just so easy. I’ve become a big fan of making them over the past year or so. But I really can’t justify just having some scrambled egg on it’s own for dinner so I’ve opted for this Nigella Express recipe.
It turned out so well. The tortillas actually add to the flavour just as much as the chilli and spring onion do – I must admit I was somewhat skeptical at the start of the process about the rolls the tortillas play but it does work. Almost acts like a piece of pasta that serves as a vehicle to the eggs.
Nigella recommends this as a hangover meal. I personally wouldn’t. The flavours are great, but I could imagine them not quite hitting the spot when your tummy feels a bit vulnerable.
Good things: a lovely brunch-related change to scrambled eggs
Bad things: you’ll probably waste 6 tortillas so you can cook 2 in this. Maybe schedule fajitas for later on that day?
Ingredients (for two servings):
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 soft tortillas
- 1 large tomato
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small green chilli
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt flakes
- frying pan
- bowls for setting food aside
Prep & cooking
- Prepare the following and set aside in a bowl:
- deseed the tomato and roughly chop it up
- roughly chop up the spring onions
- deseed and chop up the green chilli
- Put the eggs and the salt in a mug and beat with a fork until combined into one yellow-y liquid.
- Roll up the tortillas in little sausages and cut them up with some scissors into little ribbons.
- Heat the oil in the a frying pan, and fry the tortillas pieces for a few mins until crisp and golden. Set aside.
- Then fry the tomato, spring onions and chilli for 1 min while turning.
- Re add the tortillas trips, and then the eggs and salt, and stir as if you would normally with scrambled egg. Take off the heat when almost there and keep turning for the final bit until set to your taste.
I think this would be great for a light brunch or breakfast on a Sunday. And a definitely much more exciting than bog standard scrambled eggs.
This might not be one of my regulars (simply because I think I’m going to end up wasting the other tortillas I bought) but make sure you enjoy this one. It’s also veggie.